Grants for Home Modifications For The Elderly


Helping an elderly loved one to live safely, and independently in their own home can be complicated, and not least of all costly, especially if you have to make home modifications, but there are a few places that we can look to get grants or loans for this.

Depending on their eligibility, seniors can get money in the form of grants or loans from the following programs – 


  • State Financial Assistance Programs
  • USDA Rural development Section 504 Home Repair Program
  • Veterans-Direct HCBS
  • Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program
  • Weatherization Assistance Program

State Financial Assistance Programs


Some states have non-Medicaid State Financial Assistance Programs which are designed to help the elderly and the disabled to continue living independently in their own homes.

The assistance is in the form of grants or loans to pay for –

  • assistive devices
  • durable medical equipment
  • home modifications, which will allow them to continue living independently in their own homes.


In some states the program is called Nursing Home Diversion Programs as the goal is to keep the elderly and the disabled persons from moving into nursing homes.

To see if your state has a State Financial Assistance Program for the elderly and disabled, you should consult with an Area Agency on Aging.

USDA Rural development Section 504 Home Repair program


In rural areas, it is possible for elderly adults to get a grant for home modifications.

The USDA allows loans to low-income homeowners to

repair, improve or modernize their homes or grants to elderly very-low-income homeowners to remove health and safety hazards.

are allowed by the USDA – source USDA.GOV

The maximum amount of the grant is $7500.00.

And should the house be resold within three years of receipt of the grant, then the grant has to be repaid.


To qualify for the Section 504 Home Repair program grant, you must –


  • be the homeowner
  • be 62 yrs or over
  • have a family income of less than 50% of the local average income
  • be unable to repay a home repair loan


You can make applications year round at your local Rural Development office here

You get advice from a USDA Home loan specialist here.

Veterans-Direct HCBS


The Veterans-Direct HCBS program is for veterans who are at risk of losing their independence and being moved into a nursing home.

The beneficiaries of the program are allocated a budget with which they may purchase what is required for them to maintain their independence.


Home modifications which are allowed on the program include –


  • grab bars
  • lighting
  • wheelchair ramps
  • bathroom equipment


Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program


The program provides assistance to eligible low income households with

“their heating and cooling energy costs, bill payment assistance, energy crisis assistance, weatherization and energy related repairs.”

Source: https://www.benefits.gov/benefit/623

The assistance can be for home modifications which are related to weatherization or energy-related repairs.

You can find out if you are eligible and how to apply on the link above.

Weatherization Assistance Program


The elderly can get assistance with modifications to improve a home’s energy efficiency.

The program works on a state level.

On the website for the program you can find a locator tool here to contact you state administrator.

Nonprofits offering services


There are other options which exist, such as nonprofit organizations who offer their help and time on building modifications for the elderly and the disabled.

One organization which is working across the US is Rebuilding Together.

For those in need, volunteers will offer their time and skills, restoring or modifying their homes.

To find out if there is an affiliate group in your area, use their locator tool here on their website.

To find out what other nonprofits organizations are offering their services near you, just contact your local Area Agency on Aging.

Medicaid Home and Community Based Services Waivers and Programs


Medicaid HCBS waivers and programs were developed to help the elderly, and the disabled, to maintain their independence in their own homes – note that assisted living and a family home are considered to be living in your own home.

Although these programs do not give out grants or loans, if a person is eligible for a program, and they do have limited numbers, the program will very often buy what equipment is needed (medically necessary, as prescribed by a physician) for the beneficiary to remain in their home, and this can be durable medical equipment, grab bars, ramps etc.

Another federal Medicaid Program called Money Follows The Person was designed to help the elderly transition from skilled nursing facilities back into the community.

Not all states have one, but where they do, the state is given money by the Medicaid to develop its own Money Follows The Person, and they will pay for the required equipment and services to help a person transition back to their own home.

I have an article where I list, and link to, all the Medicaid HCBS programs, waivers, and Money Follows the Person programs for the elderly by state. You can read that here.

I’m Gareth, the author and owner of Looking After Mom and Dad.com

I have been a caregiver for over 10 yrs and share all my tips here.

Gareth Williams

Didn’t Find What You Were Looking For ?