If you are looking for free home medical equipment, whatever the reason, a great place to start is Freecylce.org.
Everything is free, and you can even post requests, once you have become a member and joined one, or more groups.
The groups are full of like-minded people who are giving items away, and looking for other items, and you don’t just have to be looking for free medical equipment, you can find just about anything.
Free Used Medical Equipment on Freecycle.org
Freecycle.org is a site which coordinates “groups”, all over the world, where people give away, and search for, free items in their local area.
On the website –
- you can see any groups in your area, and what is available in those groups
- as well as people giving items away, people can also ask for particular items
- you can select groups in your area that you want to join
- you can also see if the groups have any free used medical equipment, prior to your asking to join
- you can also post requests of “wanted” equipment in the group once you are a member of that group
There is no limit to the number of groups you join, to the number of “wanted” listings you post, or to the number of free items you get from other members in any group.
How to use Freecycle to find free medical equipment in New York State
Here are two methods to searching.
The first step is to join one, or more, groups in your area on the Freecycle.org website –
Before you join a group, it’s possible to enter a search for any item you are looking for, and to see if it is available.
Just enter your search in the search field at the top of the page – see below.
A list of the items available will load, along with the town groups in which they are being offered – see below.
You can now click on either –
- the item title – this loads a photograph of the item
- on the name of the town where the group is, which loads a page similar to the one shown below, with the list of images of everything which is available in that group, and as well as a row of navigation buttons for surrounding towns
I find it a good idea to click on the town name, the second option, and I get to see –
(a) the quality of the items in a group and if they have any medical equipment
(b) and I can also check out other groups nearby very quickly and easily, by clicking on the tabs under the “Nearby Towns” heading – see below.
You are eventually going to have to join a group in which what you are looking for is offered.
So, if you are not already a member, you will need to join Freecycle.
Click on the title of the equipment that you want, which is next to the photo, and all the information about it pops up, as well as, who it is being offered by.
Now you will also see a tab “Become a member” (for the group which has the member offering the item).
If you are not a member of Freecycle.org, there will also be a large green button with “sign up with email”, that’s where you click to register with Freecycle.org – see below.
You can actually join either –
- using your email
- or through a Facebook membership, if you have one
Once signed up, you should see that your group membership is now pending approval – all you do is wait for approval.
In the meantime, don’t forget, once signed up to Freecycle, you can join all the groups that you would like, posting requests for the medical equipment with all of them.
Now for the second method…
To join your local groups, without checking to see what equipment they may have, either –
- enter the town name where you want to find groups in the “Find a Town” input field
- or select the map view and then click on one of the towns with groups
See the two alternatives in the images below.
In both views, the “list view” and the “map view”, once you have found a group that you wish to join, click the big green “join” button, and you will be asked to either –
- login – if you are a member of Freecycle
- sign up, if you have not already joined Freecycle
Remember, that even if you don’t find what you are looking for, members can also post request posts for items they want.
The more groups you join, the more request posts you can post, and the greater the chance you will have of finding the free equipment that you need.
Where else can I find used medical equipment online near me for free ?
You can also get free used medical equipment locally online at –
I have written quick illustrated guides on how to get free used medical equipment on each of the above websites/online listings –
I’m Gareth, the author and owner of Looking After Mom and Dad.com
I have been a caregiver for over 10 yrs and share all my tips here.